Sunday, October 2, 2016

My Adam's apple

   I stated to think about my Adam's apple the other morning as I was shaving.
   I have a rather unkempt beard, choosing to shave only occasionally the small areas under my less-than-prominent cheekbones and part of my neck, and these parts only every several days. When I do, it gives me occasion to look at my face in a closer way than I might normally.
   So today, as I ran the very sharp blades under my face, I moved the skin over the bump on my neck carefully so as not to cut myself. Looking more closely at this ungainly area, I started to think about it.
   Of course, the fact that it is referred to as an Adam's apple is not lost on me as my given name is Adam, and it has been for all of my fifty two years. Even so, the prominence on my neck does not feel like like it belongs any more to me than it does to others that possess this feature without the name aspect. It amuses me that language should refer to it as my apple, because it doesn't feel that way.
   I'm engaged by the fact that I only seem to pay any attention to this area when I need to avoid it, and am currently wondering how this may apply to other aspects of my life.
   For example, I believe that I may pay closer attention to some things in the world precisely because I don't feel the need to avoid those things. It would seem that a sense of security allows me to look more closely, yet I wonder if my fortified defenses have blinded me more than just a bit in this regard.

No comments:

Post a Comment