Sunday, September 25, 2016

Moth on my window

   A couple of days ago, after finishing my morning walk in the park, I got into my car to go to work.
   I connected my phone to the auxiliary input so I could hear some music that I liked, and noticed something on my windshield. It appeared to me to be a moth, at least according to my poor knowledge of insects.
   Although I am not terribly fond of insects when they are in my apartment, I don't mind them much when I am outside, as San Francisco does not seem to have as many of, nor the types that would irritate me so growing up in New York City. Also, I recognize them as living things that are trying to make their way in the world, like me.
   So instead of using my car's windshield wiper or washer fluid to try to make the animal leave, I started off, figuring it would depart on its' own, peacefully.
   I starting driving, quite slowly as I was in the park, but it didn't move. Even as I sped up and exited onto the surrounding city streets, it didn't fly away, but instead moved to a different place, perhaps six inches away.
   At one point, while stopped at a red light, I thought that maybe it was dead and was somehow stuck there, having moved before not by its' own life, but by the wind and force of the car's movement. I then considered that perhaps it was injured and unable to move more than it had.
   I wondered whether it had decided to spend this time on my windshield, which now seems like a ridiculous thought to have about an animal that must have a tiny brain, but it's place there seemed intentional to me at the time.
   I arrived at my job, parked my car in the lot, and took the picture below from inside of the vehicle.


   I sat looking at it, feeling that this thing trusted me, as if it sensed that it would be safe there. Perhaps it knew that I had respect for its' life. Interestingly, I had come to see it in a way that I did not previously precisely because it had stayed there on the windshield for all of that time.
   Although doubtful, it seems that it had intentionally set out to broaden my vision of it.
   This small creature had helped me to focus on something other than the sometimes difficult feelings I experience when I transition from the wonderful, calming feelings of my morning walk to the often times emotionally trying circumstances that can occur at the workplace.


   As I exited my car and headed into work, I looked at it again, and took the picture above, from the outside.
   When I left work, nearly nine hours later, I had forgotten about what had happened earlier, and got into my car to drive home. 
   It wasn't until I looked at the photos that I had taken that I  remembered what had happened, and realized that the insect had left my windshield at some point during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment