Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The possibilities in darkness

   It was quite dark as I began my morning walk yesterday. There was just enough light for me to see where I was walking without tripping on a curb, but not enough to keep me from thinking that I had seen things in the shadows. I really like that about darkness.
   Almost immediately after my arrival, I was startled by a sound that I heard off to my left, which were probably ducks or geese squabbling in the lake. Perhaps a minute or so later, I thought that I had seen a coyote duck into the bushes and trees around forty feet in front of me and to the right, though as I neared the area I surmised that maybe it probably had not been there at all.
   Realizing that perhaps I had been misled by the desire to see something that I would find wonderful, I started thinking about expectations, and wondered if it was these that led me to see what I believed I had. I ruminated on that idea for a while, thinking, probably incorrectly, that expectations were not good because they led me to unrealistic notions.
   I thought a bit more, and realized that although expectations are frightening for a person like me that often feels that the future will disappoint, it was really possibility that led me to think that I had seen something that I would find exhilarating.
   While expecting something wonderful might not be the best way for me to approach my life, remaining open to what is possible, although potentially frightening, is I believe realistic, powerful and inspires hope in me.


What do you see there?

No comments:

Post a Comment