Wednesday, July 1, 2015

The rustling of leaves

   Ever since I can remember I have enjoyed the sound of leaves blowing in the wind. In the warmer weather, the sound signifies to me that a breeze is nearby to cool me. In the fall, it tells me that it's time to adjust my jacket or scarf against my neck for warmth, but assures me that's it's still not so cold that it's uncomfortable to be outside amongst the trees. Here in San Francisco, there are still leaves on many trees in the winter, but when I was growing up in New York City, winter meant no leaves, so no rustling sound was to be had in the sometimes too frigid weather (luckily for me, the quiet of snowfall provided me with another relaxing sound).
   For many years, I have slept to the quiet hum of a sound machine, making me both sleepy and relaxed, perfect for drowning out some of the noise of the street, but also helping to deaden the noise inside of my head. The rustling of leaves feels similar, but is able to ease some of the sounds and movement that can sometimes make me to feel nervous when I'm out in the world.
   The wind as an invisible force, except as it impacts other things, such as leaves, helps me to see the unseen good in the world, no matter how hard I try to believe that it doesn't exist.

An unusually docile day for these leaves

No comments:

Post a Comment