Friday, July 10, 2015

Hanging in there

   I saw this small branch in Golden Gate Park a few weeks ago during a morning walk, and was drawn to it. I was especially impressed by the small, firm flower-like form at the tip of it, amazed that it had remained intact on the road before I found it. I passed it once before returning to the spot where it lay, and where I decided to pick it up, fifteen minutes or so later. I carried it to my car as I finished my walk, and placed it on the left side of my car's dashboard, as you can see in the picture below.
   It stayed on the dashboard for a week or so, sometimes having to be readjusted by me as it would slide if I made a sharp turn, but was pretty good at not moving too much, A week or so later, I decided to have my car washed, and placed it gently in the trunk to protect it. I thought I had been quite thoughtful in how I placed it there, but when I went to retrieve it, some seltzer water bottles that I stored near it had toppled, and a significant part of the stem and end had broken off.
   I was saddened and a bit annoyed annoyed at myself for allowing this to happen, but I placed the damaged remainder back on the dashboard, and there it has remained for the past four three to four weeks. It has been in direct sunlight and heat on occasion, but doesn't seem to be any the worse for it, and appears generally unchanged since the car trunk incident.
   When I am approaching my car from the front, I am proud to see it there on the dash, and once in the car, my wife and I marvel at the fact that it still is in one piece. It is a little treasure to me.
   I become hopeful and inspired when I see things that are small and delicate flourish; it helps to instill in me the belief that I, delicate feeling as I do, also have a place that's safe in the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment