Sunday, December 11, 2011

Stopped




   I have been fascinated for years by the markings found on the street. Commands, instructions and symbols are just some of the things I've seen below me as I walk or drive. The paintings were done at some point in the past, and although seemingly well thought out and planned when executed, the time elapsed since then has often altered or amended their original designs.
   If pavement needs to be replaced, the new patch often obscures part of the message or markings around it. When a manhole cover needs to be removed, the workers who put it back don't seem to care or notice if it is returned in it's original position, and so the original design is changed. It is in these alterations that I can see the passage of time, and understand, at least temporarily, that people often collaborate without the same goals and work together unknowingly to create something new. Although I find these new markings to be beautiful illustrations of time, I am at the same time disappointed that the cooperation is unintentional. While it is true that I witness cooperation often in my daily life, it strikes me as existing generally to avoid violence, chaos, and usually serves the mundane. When participation is beautiful because it is difficult or hard to name, it is by and large moralized or belittled.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment