Tuesday, December 13, 2011

North Face jackets




The North Face outlet store, San Francisco

   I recently discovered that The North Face company began in San Francisco in 1966. Is that an amazing discovery? Not really, but really informative for me, as I've been wanting to jot down some thoughts on the abundance of North Face jackets worn by the people of the San Francisco bay area, and have been stymied as to why these garments are so omnipresent in this city I live in.
   I've read that this brand is very popular because the weather in San Francisco is so changeable, being a city of micro climates. That may account for part of this company's success, but I believe that there's another, more determinant reason; casualness.
   San Francisco is a city located in the northern part of a laid back state, of which it may well be the most laid back city. People here like to 'dress down', and it seems to me that North Face clothing is the clothing de rigeur of the laid back. Wearing one of these jackets is like a red tie and dark gray suit for a Wall Street power broker. I know that casually dressed people (of which I am one) probably dislike intensely the idea that they may wear a suit of some kind, but I'm afraid that they do. It's just a casual suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment