Saturday, June 25, 2016

Dogs carrying their own leashes

    Recently, I saw a man walking his dog, or more correctly, walking next to his dog, as his pet had a collar around it's neck attached to a leash, but the leash was being carried in the animal's mouth rather rather than in it's owner's hand. I am often annoyed by what I perceive as people making up their own rules around posted signs (such as "dogs must be on leash"), but on this occasion my judgment was diverted by this sight of the dog, which was quite powerful for me.
   What felt like a blossoming of allusions rushed forward as I watched the dog happily, seemingly proudly, trotting along with the end of it's own restraining device between its' teeth. Of course, one could make the point that these animals appear to often feel affection for their masters, and so should be proud to do something for them (such as carrying the leash), but it still struck me as an odd, unnatural setup.
   I'm well aware that many dogs have crates, basically a cage, where their owner lives, and which are supposed to be used by its' master to replicate the animal's home den (and which they seem to generally like), but this too feels like they are used to repress, even if the animal seems to enjoy it. The leash in particular strikes me as a device which serves to tame and divert it from it's original, wild nature.
   I have been careful to use the term owner or master when referring to the person that walks and cares for their dog, because I feel like it is important to be honest about the realities of where the power lies in this and all relationships.
   To see an animal that seems to accept, at times revel, in their own restraint, whatever the living thing, disturbs me.

No comments:

Post a Comment