Friday, April 29, 2016

The sound of woodpeckers

   I have been hearing the knocking sounds of woodpeckers for the past couple of weeks around a certain few trees near Stow Lake in Golden Gate Park as I walk in the early morning. I say 'around' a few trees because I really cannot tell exactly where the sounds are coming from, and this morning was the first time I made any real effort to determine a more specific location.
   I have avoided knowing more fully since I am generally there to focus on my walking as a kind of meditation, but also because the idea of not knowing the origin is beautiful to me. I only looked a bit more intently today because I so enjoy seeing woodpeckers.
   I find it interesting, and perhaps a bit contradictory, that I should so embrace the mysterious and unknown the way that I do, as I often find myself creating a knowable routine to give myself a feeling of predictability and security in the world. Whether it is conflicting. or maybe just a sign of more complexity to wish for both the enigmatic and familiar in my life, they seem to fit for me. Perhaps each side allows the other to flourish more fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment