Thursday, March 24, 2016

Does insensitivity sell?

   There is a commercial that I see on television pretty regularly for the BMW X1 automobile. The advertisement begins with a young man walking with what appears to be mail in his hands, apparently coming back from his mailbox. We see a car enter the driveway in reverse, cargo door open as it screeches to a stop, spilling out it's trunk's contents at the man's feet. A laundry basket and assorted clothing are most evident.
   Next, we are taken to the interior of the car, where we see an attractive woman looking back in the rear view mirror as she drives away, a smirk on her face. A neighbor appears to the left of the man in the next driveway, to which he says, "it's complicated", then looks down at his things, as if to ascertain if everything is there. He goes on to say, "she's just dropping off my stuff". It seems that these two were once a couple, but their relationship had ended.
   I've seen this commercial many times and have found it distasteful on every occasion, but now when I see it I find it very sad, both in content and in the fact that it took a number of people and money to create something so cold. Perhaps the first time I viewed it in this way I was feeling a bit more sad than I usually do, but I imagine that this sadness only helped me to see the insensitivity of the portrayal more clearly.
   Though no expert on failed relationships, I have had enough experience with them, both platonic and sexual, to know that they hurt, even when they are necessary and their dissolution seems necessary. I wonder then what the producers of the commercial were thinking when they thought it would be 'amusing' or 'lighthearted' (I've seen it referred to in both these ways online) to show someone literally dumping out another's belongings in such a thoughtless, or worse yet, thoughtful way, as if that person had no feelings at all.
   Interestingly, the man seems almost unaffected emotionally by this act, save for perhaps being embarassed in front of his neighbor. The woman driving the car, the one taking the initiative, is perhaps supposed to appear healthy by doing this, being empowered enough to do what's right for her; but is this where we as a society must exert our will, at someone else's expense?
   If there were to be a backstory to what we are seeing in the spot, say if the man had been equally or more rude to the woman previously, should we still feel the same way about what we're witnessing now?
   I wonder why it is that neither man nor woman in this commercial seems very saddened by what has happened, and it disturbs me that we as viewers are not apparently supposed to be either.


Assessing rather than feeling


No comments:

Post a Comment