Saturday, November 7, 2015

An aggregate of berries and ideas

   Sometimes writing is easier for me, other times, more difficult. This particular blog entry has been one of the more difficult ones, and so I begin again with a slate that has been cleared of written words, but a brain that is still full of ideas from previous attempts at this subject. Generally, the way I write about a particular subject is to form some ideas with words, fine tune them, and edit, which usually involves me removing a few words or a sentence here and there. For this entry, I have chosen to delete everything that I have written, as I had lost control of my ideas, and felt that I had to abandon ship.
   I have never thought of myself as a writer, and only began writing four years or so ago as a way to express some thoughts that I felt needed to be exercised from my brain's exclusivity, and my visual art background and interest did not seem to offer an avenue for them. Perhaps I just needed a change of form.
   As a visual artist, I had for years taken the approach of an assembler (putting visual elements together), and the act of writing has turned out to be exactly that for me, though I never knew that would be the case. I find it beautiful that words are so impermanent and so easy to change, as it allows me to be so free when I use them, and I can just add and remove them at will, and even reuse the same one again if I so choose. Together, they form sentences and hopefully, coherent thoughts that are true to what I want to convey. Often, I end up writing about something in a way that has seemingly taken shape only through the process of writing, devoid of what I was trying to elicit.
   I began this blog entry with the intent of writing about blackberries, learning through previous attempts that they are called an aggregate fruit, as a single berry is an aggregate of sixty to one hundred berries. The challenges that I have had in finishing this piece has fostered the idea of writing and blackberries as an aggregate subject, and I consider both to be special in their own way.
   Below is a picture that I took of a blackberry that I was soon going to eat, and marveled, as I usually do, at it's intricate structure. I eat a lot of blackberries, much more so than any other fruit, because they are low in sugar (which I have to be careful of, as my blood sugar tends to run a bit high), easily transportable, and often times very delicious. Each individual berry contributes to the cluster in a way that I cannot see what holds them together, and one of my finished blog pieces feels like a similar construction. Although blackberries have a short shelf life (even when refrigerated) which pushes me to buy them regularly and often, I still do what is necessary to keep me stocked up, because I feel like I'm taking care of myself when I do so. Writing feels the same way.




No comments:

Post a Comment