Saturday, October 10, 2015

Interviewing at Starbucks

   I was sitting in Starbucks a couple of weeks ago, and noticed that some of the tables had folded pieces of paper on them which read, "reserved for event", or something like that. I was unaware that tables could be reserved at Starbucks, and asked one of the workers about it; she said that they were having a hiring event. I didn't know that hiring was an event.
   I was annoyed that there didn't seem to be anywhere available where I could work on my blogs with some privacy, but soon a couple of tables became available, and I opened up my cheap but reliable little computer and began to work. I was making some good progress (I always feeling better when and after I am writing), when some people sat down for the event that the table placards had foretold. What Starbucks had referred to as an event was actually some Starbucks managers interviewing prospective employees for their managing locations.
   One of these managers sat behind me and commenced explaining what the interview was going to be like. I didn't see either him or the person being interviewed, but he spoke loudly, and with great pride about the company that he works for. He went on, each time his applicant would finish a sentence, about the 'Starbucks philosophy' and how 'we at Starbucks' believe in this or that particular thing, repeatedly referring to the store that he manages as 'his store'. I felt saddened by what I was hearing. I imagined that he must be an important part of the Starbucks world that he seemed to feel so powerful in, but couldn't help from thinking that he was a dot, a potential nobody in the Starbucks corporation.

No comments:

Post a Comment