Saturday, June 13, 2015

Collapsing side mirrors

   Whether or not people have been folding in the side view windows of their cars for a long time I don't know, but I've certainly been noticing it more over the last year or so. I'm sure that these mirrors have been collapsible for some time now, but my focus on them seems to have accelerated over time, probably due to my negative feelings about the types of cars that people seem to exercise this option with.
   Let me state here that certain people with money make me uncomfortable, in particular when I believe that the appearance of it is diplayed ostentatiously, and like most things that annoy me, I seem to spend more time dwelling on then I do on things that don't. Almost without fail, when I see a car with it's side mirrors folded in, it is on a luxury car, such as an Audi, Lexus, or Mercedes Benz, as pictured below.
   The reason that the mirrors on these cars tend to be folded in more than on other cars seems apparent to me; the cars mentioned are expensive, and the owners want to protect them. What interests me is why people with pricey cars should want to protect them more than people with ones that don't cost as much. Should I assume that if one has a fairly inexpensive car than they don't need to worry about it being damaged because they could easily buy another one, or is it a matter of investment, and people with expensive cars want their resale value to remain high? I own an inexpensive car, and although it would not be without financial pain for me to have to buy a new one, I don't fold in my mirrors as a matter of practice.
   I believe that ir's because the cars being talked about here mean a lot as status symbols to the people that own them, and that is what I am writing this blog entry. To me, anything that a person can buy says nothing positive about that individual; in fact, it seems kind of sad, but most cultures do teach their inhabitants that symbols of wealth are good, and perhaps it is that which makes me so angry.
   I generally choose to write about things that fascinate or bother me, as a way to get a better understanding on the subjects, and if the subject bothers me, to hopefully find a place of peace with it, at least temporarily.
In this particular case, I don't believe that thinking and writing on this subject will necessarily help me to feel more understanding of the people with these cars, but writing as a practice does make me feel better as an act of creative expression, and sometimes that is good enough.

A Mercedes Benz, windows folded in (even on 
the right side where no cars could inadvertantly clip it).

No comments:

Post a Comment