Saturday, June 22, 2013

Updating my present

   I don't have a lot of specific memories of my childhood, just bits and pieces that I try to put together to help me understand how I came to be the ways I am today, and perhaps what I might wish to be more like in the future. I try to jog more memories and feelings loose in multiple ways, including through psychoanalysis, making art, taking walks in nature, and writing on this blog. All are ways that I try to better see what I have experienced, whether I am conscious of those experiences or not. I find that as I am able to recall more things, no matter how minute, the more a sort of story line starts to form, and my past begins to appear more sequential.
   I have found that expoloring the different kinds of music, clothing and design styles from my childhood and early teenage years helps me to remember things I have long suppressed or forgotten, and often lead me recall other images, thoughts and feelings from my past.
   Some of the things I am currently exploring are wacky packages, slow soul music from the 1970s, and earth-toned colors.



That's me in the lower left corner with my sister and some cousins. I must be 
around eight or nine years old here, which would make this around 1972.

No comments:

Post a Comment